[texbirds] Accipiter takes White-winged Dove at Russ Pitman Park - hawk ID?

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:11:31 -0500 (EST)

As already reported today at Russ Pitman Park Accipiter took White-winged
Dove in front of few people who waited to the end of day for hummers to show
up  for late feeding (they didn‘t).

It was an incredible sighting, hawk swoop and hit perching dove, grabbed
and took dove to the near tree.  I first thought that it was a  Sharp-shinned
Hawk but was talked to accept it as Cooper’s. When processing  photos this
evening I spent more time checking web than working on photos as my  doubts
came back. I am now confused again. Perhaps people who know well juvenile
Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks can confirm ID of this hawk. I tried to put
together all photos that might help to ID. Please note that photos were
taken of  hawk perching inside the tree in very low light. Photos were taken at
1600 ISO  and 1/200 sec so their quality had to be low.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/accipiter_takes_whitewinged_dove_at_russ_pitman_pa
rk_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/accipiter_takes_whitewinged_dove_at_russ_pitman_park)

Thanks in advance