[texbirds] ANWR and High Island Today 3/23/15

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:22:45 -0400

On the way to High Island this morning Jan and I stopped to look for David
S's Yellow=throated Warbler at Jackson Woodlot in the Anahuac NWR. Did not
find  it but did find a Black and White Warbler and a bunch of Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers.

We stopped at Hooks Woods for a little while and really did not see
anything except a BGGN and a White-eyed Vireo.

Continued to Roll Over Pass and checked out the shorebirds and gulls and
terns. Still quite a few Bonaparte's Gulls but could not find the Little Gull
 seen a while back. Also had Sandwich, Least, Black, and Royal Terns. Lots
of Am  Avocets and Short-billed Dowitchers. Also a lot of Semipalmated
Plovers,  Black-bellied Plovers and Dunlins.

Back at Smith Oaks the Great Egrets are on nests most anyway and the Snowy
Egrets have joined in. Also saw several Cattle Egrets, Little Blue Herons
and  Tricolored Herons. In the woods I found two Black and White Warblers, a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a lot of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers on the trail
between Clay Bottom Pond and the lower pond. Over where you walk down the
old  road into the woods we turned left into the tall trees there and found a
single  Yellow-throated Warbler.

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master  Naturalist
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx