[texbirds] ALVIN "BIG BIRD" EVENT DRAWS ANOTHER "BIG BIRD"

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday (3/30/13), I took my 11 year old grandson to the Alvin
Radio/Controlled airfield for a "big bird" event (big birds are 1/4 to 1/3 R/C
replicas of  real air planes). Got there at 8:30 AM and left at 3 PM.

Had a lot of fun, and watched while a large raptor came down to see what was
flying in his territory; it  turned out to be a beautiful Swainson's Hawk. It
came fairly close to a pair of dueling man-made big birds, then flew up and out
of sight.  Perhaps he was embarrassed by the "standing on the tail " stunts
that the man-mad bards were doing. Or maybe it was the sounds of their engines
that drove him away. I tried to take a video that included the "real raptor",
and the wannabe raptors, but was unsuccessful.

Other birds seen at the airfield included several TVs and flocks of White Ibis.

Mira M. Pellerin