[texbirds] A poor morning at Clapp Park

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:47:08 -0500

Greetings All:
A very promising storm system moved through my region during Friday
night/early Saturday morning, leaving Lubbock completely untouched. When I
awoke to dry ground this morning I suspected that, If anything, this
system facilitated movement of birds over Lubbock during the night.

Despite my fears, I worked Clapp Park for two hours this morning and it was
even worse than the last visit. I managed to tally only 26 species and the
highlights were 2 flyover Canada Geese, 4 immature Black-chinned
Hummingbirds, 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 1 Chipping Sparrow,
and 3 Clay-colored Sparrows.

My visits have been getting steadily worse with drying and generally fair
weather conditions during this fall migration. On 29 August I saw 51
species with some real stunners in the mix; on 5 September I saw 31 species
with a few goodies in the mix; today's results, thus far, speak for
themselves.

Nothing new was discovered for the site's 2015 list but, as conditions have
been cloudy and unsettled throughout the day, I am going to make an evening
visit in hopes of better luck.

In all, honesty, though I think a good day at Clapp Park awaits a frontal
barrier of some kind or a really solid rain event.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock.