[texbirds] A little El Paso Birding

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:02:40 -0600

shopping etc.   I started a windy dusty Rio Bosque Wetlands and area (which
are bone except for water in the arroyo )  The dust was flying in the stiff
wind but managed to get the following which I was quite happy with. This is
directly next to the border fence and there are several dead ends...A bit
to the north there are some cottonwoods, some areas of grass and salt cedar
that held a few birds.
Hilites:  Cinnamon Teal 6, Gambel's Quail 4, Burrowing Owl 1, and a Black
Phoebe.

  I left there to bird the big tree, less windy,  neighborhoods as time
permitted, The birdiest area was Pandale St. north of Link St. but there
was a bit of traffic even early:  I walked it which made the traffic more
aggravating. But many of the other streets were quiet.  I am sure these are
no news birds to the local birders.

Hilites:

ACORN WOODPECKER 1..This a biggy from me and was completely unexpected!
It is in the neighborhood behind the Walmart off of Socorro St. in pecans
and pines.  There are also a lot of Am. Crows here that I spent some time
comparing to my crow people back home.  I heard a distant jay here that I
assume is Western Scrub.
RED CROSSBILLS 5...Finally some views , but from an awkward place...Near
Shutz/Mt. Carmel St.s
Red-naped Sapsucker 1
R.B. Nuthatch 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
G. T.  Towhee 1...Near link/Pandale St. intersection.
Am. Robins 4

Also for those looking for colonies of Peacocks there were at least 5-6
birds on both sides of Pandale St. this morning.  Thanks to John Groves for
providing some detaills as to where I might go.

Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist
361-655-7641
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
The greatest musician of all time is mother nature.