[texbirds] A few migrants still moving through the panhandle

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I completed my Circle BBS route (Lamb County) this morning ... and made a
couple of good stops on the way back to Lubbock.

The highlights from the route included 1 Willow Flycatcher just west of Earth,
1 male Yellow-headed Cowbird well west of Earth, 1 male Bronzed Cowbird just
southeast of Earth, and 1 male Bronzed Cowbird in Earth.

I spent a half hour at the Lamb County Sandhills State Historical Marker (which
features long windbreaks on both side of Highway 385 with lots of hackberry and
soapberry) in hopes of seeing my first Soapberry Hairstreaks for the year.  I
had no luck with butterflies at this site but there was a veritable wave of
late migrants at the site including 1 Olive-sided Flycatcher, 2 Western Wood
Pewees, 2 MacGillivray's Warblers, 1 Yellow Warbler, and 2 Wilson's Warblers.

Another MacGillivray's Warbler was seen about 1.5 miles south of the historical
marker.

Lubbock kicked out 2 Northern Shovelers, 4 Double-crested Cormorants, 3 Snowy
Egrets, 4 Black-necked Stilts, and 6 American Avocets at Maxey Park as well as
2 adult Harris's Hawks on poles along Quaker just west of the TTU HSC.

I will try to get a report out with a full list of Circle BBS critters as soon
as is possible.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock