[texbirds] Re: A Silly Texas Warbler Question (or Two or Three)

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:31:52 -0500

Well, I can supply an answer to the 3rd question.
On 26 April 2006 Joel and Vicki Simon, Brush Freeman, and I were on a
private property in Kenedy County.  We were expecting fallout conditions.
Joel and Vicki were in one oak motte, Brush was in a second, and I was in a
third.  Collectively. we had 133 species in about four hours.  I would have
to go back and check the exact totals for the others, but I had 32 species
of warbler, and 17 species of flycatcher.  The others had similar totals.
Brush had the bird of the day, a Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Texbirders:
>
> I was looking at the TBRC list of the 54 warbler species that have been
> seen in Texas all-time and had a silly Texas warbler question (or two).
>
> 3. Texbirders, Who has seen the most warblers in one day in Texas and how
> many was that?
>
> I'm guessing it's slightly greater than 30 but well less than 40.
>
> Has anybody out there seen more than 30 wood-warblers in Texas in one
> calendar day--if so--Where and When. There's got to be a very interesting
> story behind that--I'm guessing it was a while ago on the Upper or Central
> Texas Coast when warblers were more plentiful.
>
>  Do Tell.  Brush ???, Ted E ???, Mel ???
>
> thanks
>

> John Berner
> Katy/W.Houston
> W. Houston/Katy
>  Here's the link to the 54 warblers--skip down to
> FAMILY PARULIDAE: WOOD-WARBLERS
> http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/statelst.htm

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein