[texbirds] A Cast of Caracara

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:00:22 -0500

Today I had no less than 14 Crested Caracara in one field (northeast Travis
County).  There were vultures in the area, but not sitting in the field and
not really associating with the caracara.  The did not seem to be gathered
at a carcass. there were 4 or 5 near each other but otherwise they were
spread out over an acre or two.
Could this be a small group making a seasonal relocation?  Could this be an
extended family group?

Also of interest was my FOS Northern Harrier for central Texas, just across
the Williamson County line.

Ronnie Kramer
Austin