[texbirds] 7-7-12 Yellow-throated @ Warbler Woods

  • From: Susan Schaezler 1 <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:59:01 -0500

7-7-12 Yellow-throated @ Warbler Woods

Birding is fun year round and yes, I include Summer!!  You never know what you
will find and I usually find something exciting each day.  Today, I had a
Yellow-throated Vireo and yesterday, a Black-and-white Warbler.  Pictures
posted.

Other July fun birds:  Bobwhite, Swainson's Hawk, Crested Caracara,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Chuck-will's-widow, Western Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike,
Yellow-throated Vireo, Hutton's Vireo, Black-and-white Warbler and Painted
Bunting.  We have had 46 species so far this month.

For June:  Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Bobwhite, Great Blue Heron, Great
Egret, Little Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Green Heron, Crested Caracara,
Killdeer, Common Ground-Dove, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Greater Roadrunner, Great
Horned Owl, Common Nighthawk, Chuck-will's-widow, Golden-fronted and Downy
Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested, Western
Kingbird Loggerhead, Bell's, Hutton's and RED-EYED VIREO, Crow, GRAY CATBIRD,
OVENBIRD, NORTHERN PARULA, Painted and Indigo Bunting.  We had 66 species in
June.

We both go out very early and have breakfast on the Scout Pond Dam and leave
there to go feed in our 3 feeding areas and check both ponds--never know what
might show up there.  Don heads back to work sometime during this and when I
return, I head to the backyard Warbler Pond Viewing area.  My focus and
postings is of just a small part of Warbler Woods, but look at what I find.
Lately, I get ~20 species in the backyard and the species vary on this.  It is
very comfortable out there until about noon,when I finally head inside.  We try
to go out in the evening, but time is a factor, but the 2nd Field and Scout
Pond get a shadow across it early and has a good breeze and is a great place to
spend early evening.  The Great Horned Owls sometimes come into this area and
we have had as many as 3 at once there.  The Yellow-billed Cuckoo usually comes
in late morning to the Warbler Pond and is calling around the area before that.

Yes, all of our postings are on Ebird.org and we are a Hotspot

Now, to find out what is happening here:

First alert goes to "SusanWarbler" on Twitter and that is usually before I let
Don know

If it is real exciting, I post or ebird it asap by itself, instead of waiting
until the end of my birding

Pictures are uploaded in the field and posted while I'm out there birding.  I
rarely go to my desktop anymore and that is why this is more "wordy", I have my
keyboard instead of working on my IPad.

I'm new to this social media, but am trying to learn.  I sometimes post
exciting birds to the Texbirds Facebook page.

Pictures are at:
http://flic.kr/ps/Xra5h

To visit:
http://warblerwoods.org/directions/visit

Checklist of birds found at Warbler Woods
2012 Checklist

The IPad has really made my life easy--I go through a lot of communication with
keeping up with birds and visitors and during Spring Migration, I go through
200 emails/day.  You will usually see me with my iPad in operation.  I can't
hike, so I get around on a high-rise Golf Cart and my iPad is usually on the
steering wheel as I'm parked at a viewing area and my camera is nearby.  I also
get to read the news and if it is every quiet, I can actually read heavier
fare, but that doesn't happen much.  BirdLog app now allows immediate upload to
Ebird in the field and is fantastic.  It makes my life so much easier and I'm
always working on a checklist.  It is also good at finding things while on
trips.  BirdTunes is my favorite audio app of bird sounds--I can check in the
field to see if I'm hearing the right bird ID.  For ID, I have lots of apps
that I enjoy and I have almost all of them, but I haven't found the "perfect"
app.  I can also hook up to Birds of North America with Cornell to see if they
have what I want.  BirdsEye HD for the iPad is also fantastic.  It allows you
to look up Notable Sightings and then, the best part is, you can see who posted
the info.  It also has bird info and audio included and I guess that is a
checklist, but I never use these, since everything of mine goes into EBird.
I'm not an expert, so just go and roam the apps and see what works for you.

I use the photo adapter to my iPad to upload my photos in the field.  This
allows us to take a picture in order to make an ID and to document what we
have.  Many times, the lighting is horrible, but the camera will capture enough
to allow the right ID.  I can then send the photos off quickly to the ebird
reviewer, our most famous Byron Stone for me and also get help with difficult
ID's from several wonderful helpers to Warbler Woods.  Most of my photos are
"proof of life" and I'll never be a photographer, but I sure can document a lot
of unusual birds here!  If I didn't have tremors, I'd get better pictures, but
for me, it is all in the fun of capturing the moment, not hanging something on
my wall, especially when I'm rarely inside!  My Warbler Pond Blind is my Living
Room and that is usually where you will find me. Thanks to Lora for giving us a
picture of her famous Yellow-billed Cuckoos that is framed and ready to go on
our wall!  Those are awesome pictures!

Another good tool hooks onto your audio jack of your mobile phone and gets
great recordings of the birds--sometimes, you just can't get a picture and I
have an ebird reviewer with the best ears in Texas!  The $25 item is Edutige
EIM-001 and available on Amazon or other sites.  With the Black-capped Vireo,
we first got an audio file and then, got the pictures.  You can use software on
your phone and share the file to others.    Voice Memos is the built in app on
my iPhone.  Again, I'm not the expert, so just try this stuff yourself.  I'm
usually watching birds, instead of trying to answer technical questions, which
I don't know the technical answer to.

Go birding--you are missing out on some very good birds and Fall Migration will
be soon!

Susan Schaezler, Cibolo/Schertz
WarblerWoods.org
501(C)(3)
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory Site Partner
Life Member TAAS, TOS, SAAS