[texbirds] 7 tern days - look at their breeding plumages now

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

Yes it is spring and life has plans to multiply. From March 15 I had a few
7 tern days  - still waiting for Black Tern (one was already reported on 17
 in Louisiana); Except Common Tern (I saw no migrants, only wintering young
 birds) every tern species has individuals in more or less full breeding
plumages. Even one Black Skimmer, out of hundreds, was in full breeding
plumage  (see photo) - earliest for me - anybody had seen more recently or on
earlier  dates, now or in the past?

Least Terns finally started to show up in small flocks (had flock of 16 on
March 15) but another migrant (SATE) only one or few.

All seven terns plus skimmer - individuals in most advanced stage of
prealternate molt
(Black Skimmer, and Least, Sandwich, Common, Forster’s,  Gull-billed, Royal
and Caspian Terns)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149282284/original_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149282284/original)

BTW COTE included in above photo is a very interesting individual. See more
 photos and perhaps share your opinion
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149255267_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149255267)
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149255271_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149255271)
Or  all COTE photos
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/common_tern__head_molt__utc_march_15_2013_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/common_tern__head_molt__utc_march_15_2013)

Also some might like to read this discussion from over 10 years ago.
_http://secrb.trinidadbirding.com/ttmysterytern.html_
(http://secrb.trinidadbirding.com/ttmysterytern.html)
_http://secrb.trinidadbirding.com/ttmysterytern2.html_
(http://secrb.trinidadbirding.com/ttmysterytern2.html)