[texbirds] 7 Terns; Courtship in Fog, and oil spill in the Galveston Bay

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:09:22 -0400 (EDT)

Second part of March so terns are coming to the Texas shore. From the
spring/summer of usual 8 tern gang seven are already present. Last one, Black
Tern, is due soon. Yesterday was foggy (heavy fog) all day long. As we know
horrible oil spill occurred yesterday near Texas City Dike. I cannot imagine
 much more worst timing. Bolivar Flats were full of birds. 7 terns were
present;  many pairs were courting (Least, Gull-billed, Royal, Sandwich and
Forster’s  Tern); some Caspian Tern SY juveniles were still begging for food;
large flock  of Common Terns was passing thru. Also many plovers (including
Piping, Snowy and  Wilson‘s), Red Knots etc were there foraging. Huge flocks
of Black Skimmers and  American Avocets at Rollover Pass …

Although sad I would be more than happy if a single oystercatcher nest was
the  only casualty in aftermath of this disaster …

Bolivar Peninsula was methodically destroyed during past few years as an
important nesting habitat for many birds (e.g. Least Tern) by heavy
development  and growing beach traffic. This is done, nesting sites are gone;
not
much can be  done to restore them. One or two nesting pairs has no significant
impact for  breeding population stability anyway. But now this horror during
coming peak of  spring migration that can impact so many (and in large
numbers) migrating birds.  Future does not look too good…

Terns courting in the fog during March 22, 2014 - day of oil spill in the
bay.
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/154938278/original

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas