[texbirds] 4/6/14 Bentsen Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:43:39 +0000

Good morning,
The bird walk this morning started off a little slow with not too much going on
at the gardens or the Nature Center.  We were serenaded by a group of Plain
Chachalacas, and had a few White-winged and White-tipped Doves around, which
helped illustrate the differences nicely.  At the Resaca, we had a group of
Ruddy Ducks and a tree full of Vultures.  We walked into the Acacia Loop in
search of Orioles and Tyrannulets.  Just before the Kiskadee blind, we found a
pair of Great Kiskadees and Altamira Orioles busy building nests!  Not too much
in the blind, but we had both Northern Beardless Tyrannulets calling and
chasing off a Green Jay above the blind!  Very exciting!

Species Count
Ruddy Duck        5
Plain Chachalaca               33
Neotropic Cormorant     2