[texbirds] Re: 4-13-14 Eagle, etc @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary

  • From: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:59:38 -0500

Don just checked the book to confirm this bird.
Golden Eagle
This bird was soaring fairly high about 0.2 miles away at about 1800 hrs. I was
viewing it by looking toward the NW. It was climbing in a thermal and was
drifting higher and moving to the NNW.
The bird appeared essentially all black but with some apparent light areas
under the neck and wings. The profile was similar to a RTHA but with longer
wings and tail. The wings were apparently held in a slight dihedral as it
circled but were nearly flat with no wing tip upturn during straight glide
segments. Fingers were spread. There was a slight bulge in the wing width at
the secondaries with almost a ragged notch just past the secondaries. The tail
was widely spread with no markings.

Susan Schaezler
Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz