[texbirds] 3/30/14 Bentsen Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:54:52 +0000

Good Morning Texbirders,
We sure had pleasant weather morning for a bird walk, approximately 70 degrees,
very little wind, and a partly cloudy sky!  We started off with the
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Altamira Oriole in the Mini-Resaca at the
Headquarters.  (If you want to see a picture of the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
working on its sapwells, check out our Facebook page!)  At the Nature Center,
we had the Clay-colored Thrush and the Buff-bellied Hummingbird.  Then at the
Resaca, we had the Forster's Terns put on a fishing show for us and saw several
rising kettles of Turkey Vultures and Broad-winged Hawks.  At the Kiskadee
Blind, a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet stopped calling right as I identified
it, but we had close up looks at several Golden-fronted Woodpeckers and Green
Jays.  On the way back, we saw more Broad-winged Hawks moving through.

We are half way through our Hawk Watch, make sure to see it!  Daily until April
30th, 8:30am-12:00pm at the Hawk Tower, weather permitting.

Species Count
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck       2
Plain Chachalaca               10
Great Egret         3