[texbirds] 2014 Government Canyon Golden-cheeked Warblers

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 06:13:22 -0500

All:

Four Golden-cheeked Warblers were encountered at Government Canyon State
Natural Area on March 2;  three were calls only and one seen.  One of the
call-only birds was near the Joe Johnston Route trail head.  The other birds
were in Wildcat Canyon.  On the March 16 hike we saw two and heard about
five GCWA males in the trail marker 7-8 section of the JJR trail.  The group
talked during much of the hike. The group was back at HQ by noon.  Most
importantly, the group never got off the trail.  The way we accomplished
this was by starting the day at headquarters and listening to the GCWA
calls in my iBird Pro and Sibley smart-phone apps.  To use those calls
and/or to pish to bring in Golden-cheeks would have violated US, Texas, and
City of San Antonio laws.  The way things are going, most probably we will
encounter more GCWAs on the April 6 and April 20 Golden-cheek hikes at
Government Canyon State Natural Area.  For more information on those hikes,
see http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/government-canyon/park_events
For information about at GCSNA, see
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/government-canyon .  For information
about other events at GCSNA, click on the Events tab near the top of the
page.

Later!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins