[texbirds] 2 Zone-tailed Hawks at/near Frontera Audubon Center in Weslaco

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 00:12:07 -0600

While doing the Weslaco CBC at Frontera Audubon I found a juvenile
Zone-tailed Hawk perched in a tree north of Frontera this morning.  It flew
out after many photos and good views by several of us.  I was surprised to
see it again at 5 pm perched not far from where I saw it in the morning.  I
drove out to look for which tree it was located in but it apparently had
left as I could not refind it.
Local area birder Pat Heirs found an adult Zone-tailed Hawk on the south
grounds of Frontera Audubon this afternoon.  It was not only unusual to see
2 perched Zone-tails and perched away from a riparian area but the adult
was perched about a 1/4 mile from the juvenile.  I could not find anything
about juveniles remaining into winter the adults but only did a quick
internet search.  I would appreciate if anyone has info on this or knows a
source of info on this.

I have uploaded photos of the juvenile Zone-tailed on my Birds and Nature
blog <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/> and will get photos of the adult
up there tomorrow.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder currently in Pharr