[texbirds] 12-29-13 Bentsen RGV Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:19:05 +0000

Good Afternoon Everyone,
After some cold days it was nice to have a chance to see some sun, I think the
birds felt that way too.  We sure saw some great sightings this morning.  By 10
am, there were several hawks flying and many songbirds calling.  We had some
great looks at a Lincoln Sparrow and at a Great Blue Heron that was doing its
best imitation of a perched Night-Heron.  We hope to see you out here birding
soon!

Species

Count

Lesser Scaup

2

Plain Chachalaca

45

Neotropic Cormorant

3

Double-crested Cormorant

1

American White Pelican

1

Great Blue Heron

1

Great Egret

2

Snowy Egret

1

Little Blue Heron

1

Turkey Vulture

1

Osprey

1

Northern Harrier

1

Cooper's Hawk

2

Red-shouldered Hawk

1

Gray Hawk

1

Rock Pigeon

15

White-winged Dove

2

Mourning Dove

1

White-tipped Dove

10

Ringed Kingfisher

1

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

11

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

5

Black Phoebe

1

Vermilion Flycatcher

1

Great Kiskadee

17

Couch's Kingbird

1

White-eyed Vireo

1

Green Jay

13

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

3

Black-crested Titmouse

1

House Wren

2

Clay-colored Thrush

1

Curve-billed Thrasher

2

Long-billed Thrasher

3

Northern Mockingbird

6

Orange-crowned Warbler

5

Yellow-rumped Warbler

1

Olive Sparrow

1

Lincoln's Sparrow

1

Northern Cardinal

7

Red-winged Blackbird

30

Great-tailed Grackle

55

House Sparrow

37

Have a wonderful and safe holiday season!

Hannah Buschert
Park Ranger 1-Naturalist
World Birding Center
Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park