[texbirds] 1-11-13 Harris's Sparrow @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary

  • From: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:16:07 -0600

1-11-13 Harris's Sparrow @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
42 species & 13 species of sparrows
We had 9 guests for our second Sparrow Walk of the year. We had great weather -
mild and sunny - but pretty muddy early from light rains yesterday and heavy
dew today.

From the parking lot we had American Robins and Cedar Waxwings.

The main group hit the second field first and had two Common Ravens, two
Crested Caracaras, a Red-shoulderd Hawk, and a Loggerhead Shrike to highlight
the viewing  that included many Savannahs and single Song, Field, Grasshopper,
and White-crowned sparrows.

On the way to the Sparrow Hole we heard Spotted Towhee, Hermit Thrush, and
White-throated Sparrow. At the Sparrow Hole patience paid off as we had a
Harris's Sparrow along with Lincoln's, White-crowned, Field, and Chipping
sparrows and a Spotted Towhee. We left after a Sharpie scared off the birds.
Ten minutes later Sue and Ann Mallard had a Dark-eyed Junco at the Sparrow Hole.

The group hit the first field and found Lark and Vesper sparrows along with a
slew of Savannahs.

At the Old Barn we had views of several White-throated and many White-crowned
Sparrows, along with Lincoln's.

On the way back we cut through Margie's Woods, had a Northern Flicker fly
overhead and a roving flock of small birds yielded a Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS