[testingoutlookxp] Re: testing out greg's fix... will this work?

  • From: "Linda F. Johnson" <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <testingoutlookxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:54:33 -0400

Yeah..I guess I will add that to Greg's instructions....sometimes we forget
that something we take for granted (like closing a program before you edit
the registry in ways that affect that program) is not so obvious to anyone
else

Greg....I adjusted your step by step instructions slightly..notice I added
numbers 1 and 5...let me know if this is not OK:

1. Close Outlook and go to the Start menu and click on run. Type regedit and
click OK to open your registry editor.
2. Look for the registry key
HEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
3. If the DWORD value InternetMailTextEncoding doesn't exist, create it.
4. The following values change Outlook XPs behavior in this fashion (from
MSKB article 278134," OL2002: How Outlook Applies Encoding to Plain Text
Messages")-
If the value data is 0, Outlook is set to Encode Intelligently.
If the value data is 1, Outlook uses Quoted-Printable encoding.
If the value data is 2, Outlook uses Base 64 encoding.
If the value data is 3, Outlook uses no encoding and leaves 8-bit characters
as 8-bit characters.

Setting the value to 3 will ensure that no encoding will be applied to
messages composed in plain text. This will allow your posts to Freelists to
remain clean of unwanted characters.

5. Exit the registry editor and open Outlook and your problem should be
solved.

Linda F. Johnson, M.A., MOS
Linda's Computer Stop
http://personal-computer-tutor.com