Re: part rant (implied) part request for help - Win95 to Win98 upgrades

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:29:42 -0500

Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > hard drives, our floppies should hold 1.44 _GB_ and cost $8 in packs of 25.
>
> Ah, but such a thing does exist, sort of. A 60.4 GB Maxtor IDE drive is $265.
> That's approximatley $4.50 per GB, or $.00428 per MB. :)

  You misunderstand me, I mean $8 for a pack of 25 floppies, that would be
$.32 a floppy or $.22 a GB.  Basically what a floppy right now might cost
you, but hold 1000 times as much (using hard drives as the rule which have
increased in capacity about that much in the last 10-12 years while keeping
their cost and physical size about the same or less).

  And as cheap as a 60GB maxtor is (monitarily and quality wise), it's
neither easily removeable nor as portable as a floppy would be. When you can
stick an entire linux distro (and then some) on one 1.44GB floppy, such a
floppy would be very convienent.

                                                                - Steve