Re: SCO: oh, the irony of it all

  • From: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:24:20 -0500 (EST)

"F.M. Taylor" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > The only SCO boxen in my area were "upgraded" to a pile of partz last
> > century.  Power users have the habit of using the latest and greatest
> > thing, and currently, linux is it.  However, the day will come when Linux
> > is no longer the preffered operating system for das ubergeek, and it will
> > go away too.  When was the last time you saw a CP/M> prompt.  If AIX
> > wasn't big and blue, it would be gone too.
>
>   Allow me to disagree.  Linux will evolve, as it's already doing, into
> perhaps, something else.  At the very least the code that goes into linux
> may well live on in the next so called "ubergeek" OS, which will most
> likely, be just as free as Linux.

Ya, I agree here- Linux isn't just about "ubergeekness."  When you get right
down to it, the biggest difference between the crappy commercial *nix's and
Linux is the development model.  Sure, Solaris supports hot-swapping CPUs and
RAM, but can I open up the kernel source, modify it, and redistribute it as
something "better?"  Linux is the prime example of the new way of development,
and obviously, the dinosaurs like SCO just can't compete with it.  Maybe we
won't be running "Linux," and maybe not "FreeBSD," but it'll be based on these
or something very similar, and it'll be Free (speech, not beer).  And thanks to
the fork-preventing GPL, it will very well *be* Linux for a long time.

John