Re: SCO: oh, the irony of it all

  • From: "F.M. Taylor" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:08:51 -0500 (EST)

The only SCO boxen in my area were "upgraded" to a pile of partz last
century.  Power users have the habit of using the latest and greatest
thing, and currently, linux is it.  However, the day will come when Linux
is no longer the preffered operating system for das ubergeek, and it will
go away too.  When was the last time you saw a CP/M> prompt.  If AIX
wasn't big and blue, it would be gone too.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I read last night that SCO is up for sale.  How interesting.
>
> It seems now that all these companies (does ISU run any SCO boxes?) that
> insist that investing lots of money in a "commercial" unix may be up the Unix
> creek without a paddle.  The idea that "well, we'll *buy* from them, so we
> don't have to pay for better administrators" is quite a flawed concept.  What
> happens to the support contracts?  What happens to all the money invested in
> a deprecated, proprietary system?
>
> This seems like a great example of one of the problems with spending lots of
> money for something that may not be there in a few years, and a great example
> of why open systems (like, oh.. say, Linux) aren't going anywhere anytime
> soon.  It seems that Linux, *because* of its lack of a single commercial
> backing is a wiser choice than others.
>
> And what if Microsoft somehow suffers the same fate as SCO?  At least I can
> be sure that all my linux boxes are well-supported, and always will be.
>
> John

---
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.               Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843                                  47809
---
"You have zero privacy anyway.  Get over it."
           --Scott McNealy, Sun MicroSystems.