Monterey we hardly knew ye...

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:48:18 -0500

  Linux renders proprietary Unix useless before it even ships:

  http://www.zdnet.com/sp/stories/news/0,4538,2617306,00.html

  Pretty much thought Monterey was pointless from the get-go (at least when
I first heard that Linux was already being ported for IA64 way back).

  The news about AIX RL is strange though.  I wonder if they really think
that people will migrate to AIX RL from Linux, or if they're just making a
migration path for AIX users and trying to sound upbeat about it.  Given
their recent "port Linux to everything our engineers lay their eyes on"
policy, I'm thinking the latter.  The comments about Linux scalability don't
exactly ring true, at least not with the imminent release of 2.4.

                                                        - Steve