Re: John-ny! John-ny! John-ny! (LONG)

  • From: "F.M. Taylor" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Technocracy <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:11:55 -0500 (EST)

While I also have no love for JCD, I must admit that I agree with this
latest rant.  I haven't seen anything new or inovative in at least 10
years (more like 20 years).
  Maybe its just a problem for those of us who are old enough to remember
what it was like to blast you own EPROM after spending weeks diggiing thru
hardware and chip specs to write the code.  It was fun.
  While I don't blame the MAC, the first one did have some minor
expandibility.  I blame the types of users that the MAC and Windows
created.  The computer stopped being a computer, and it became a VCR, or a
Nintendo, or a blender, just another home appliance that you needed to
keep up with the neighbors.  No longer did you have to actually understand
how a computer worked, or be able to program, just flip a switch, point
and click.
  Now we have a whole new generation of lusers, some of which call
themselfs programmers, who have no clue how the machine works beyond the
point and click, and if I pulled the EEPROM from their system, couldnt
make it boot if their life depended on it.
  I also have no love for the GUI.  It is a crutch for people who can't
operate a keyboard.  If I remove the mouse from your system, and you can't
use it, then you are nothing more than a glorified data entry operator
(best slam that came to mind).  If I remove your keyboard, and you don't
notice right away, same thing.
  It really gets under my skin the number of people that think they are
programmers, and use tools that start with the word Visual.  I guess that
sells better than "language for the weak minded".
  I am not sure how many people are on this list, but I would bet that
only a few (very few) of us could code a monitor program in machine
language, or even know what a monitor program is.
  And don't even get me started on the "professional web developers" that
use tools like FrontPage or Dreamweaver.  While they may be very good at
operating a specific program, or even a set of programs, using the words
professional and developer is just wrong.  They are professional, like
professional wresteling, and developers, line packageing developers AKA
cardboard box assemblers.
  I am sure that none of us have ever heard "we can't do that here",
refering to your wanting to actually upgrade something, or *GASP* change a
user interface, or actually force the users to get a clue.
  How long is it going to be before they change the phrase from "going
postal" to "going techie".

Enuf for now...........wheres my semi-automatic, I got some policies to
change.....

 On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Troy V. Barkmeier wrote:

> Warning: anyone who thinks ZDNet and the writers there employed are the
> last bastion of responsible, insightful IT journalism should probably
> read no further. Delete this message immediately. Really.
>
> "I think Windows 3.0 will get a lot of attention; people will check it
> out, and before long they'll all drift back to raw DOS. Once in a while
> they'll boot Windows for some specific purpose, but many will put it in
> the closet with the Commodore 64." - John C. Dvorak, May 1990
>
> I hate John Dvorak. It's very difficult for me to admit this, because in
> general I'm a very "live-and-let-live" sort of individual, but I hate,
> loathe and despise this man. I hate him because he's the 'net equivalent
> of those guys who love to tell racist/sexist/whateverist jokes at
> parties, who are so sure that they are being brave and witty by
> expressing their true feelings, that "everyone else thinks the same as I
> do, but I'm the only one who's not too chickenshit to admit it." You know
> the guys I'm talking about -- they think they're Bill Maher when they're
> actually Rush Limbaugh. Worse yet, when you tell them that, they take it
> as a compliment. I think I mostly hate John because unlike TV's
> flamebaiting idiots such as Jerry Springer and Howard Stern, whose daily
> desperate struggles to remain controversial are about as provocative to
> me as reruns of "The Facts of Life" (and get flipped past just as
> quickly), Dvorak possesses a unique blend of stupidity and self-assurance
> that is always capable of inciting me to fits of genuine rage. Because I
> consider myself to be pretty open-minded, I often feel some actual guilt
> that I'm letting somebody I've never even met infuriate me to
> distraction. In fact, the only way I can reassure myself is to read even
> more of his drivel, which invariably confirms the fact that he is an
> overpaid smarmy idiotic Luddite headcase, thereby proving that my hatred
> is totally justifiable. Of course, every time I hit his site to read his
> latest crap, he gets paid even more, and the vicious circle is unbroken.
> And I hate him for that, too.
>
> Not wanting to suffer alone, but not wanting John to see any more profit
> if I can help it, I've made the ultimate sacrifice. I submit, for your
> disapproval, the latest opus from the magnificent D. Notice that I have
> deliberately not provided a link (apologies to those using text-based
> readers, but I did warn you...). Infringement of ZD's copyright? I won't
> even dignify that with a response. Read carefully and enjoy -- rarely
> have I seen such a fine example of a thesis, which is perfectly invalid
> in its own right, being supported by "evidence" and "arguments" which are
> even less provable and/or, in many cases, outright lies.
>
> TVB
>
> ================
>
> Blame It on the Pros
> �
> By John C. Dvorak
> [...]

---
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.               Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843                                  47809
---
"You have zero privacy anyway.  Get over it."
           --Scott McNealy, Sun MicroSystems.