How Disingenuous

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:43:37 -0500

Considering that Office 10 for MacOS X (considered one of the
slickest implementatins of that suite on any platform) is a "Unix
implementation" of it, isn't it disingenous of this Microsoft
"Spokesman" to claim that the "engineering cost" for a Linux version
wouldn't be justified! Sheesh.

More power to Staroffice, I say!

===

LINUX PROMOTER VIEWED AS 'SKUNK IN THE ROOM' BY FEARFUL PC MAKERS
The chief technology officer of Red Hat, a company that sells a version of
the Linux operating system, told a federal court hearing the Microsoft
antitrust case that executives of manufacturers such as Compaq, IBM, and
Dell were so fearful of retaliation from Microsoft that they treated him as
though "a skunk had come into the room" when he approached them about
putting Linux software on their PCs. "As the representative of the only
competitor in the domain in which Microsoft remains all powerful, I have
often felt, more than the Maytag repairman, that I have the loneliest job
in town." Although Microsoft licenses a version of its Office software that
runs on the Apple operating systems, a Microsoft spokesman said that his
company sees "no great demand" for Office on Linux, and that the
engineering cost of making a Linux version of Office would not provide a
sufficient return on investment to justify the expense. (Washington Post 25
Mar 2002)
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11835-2002Mar24.html