Re: Dood, you're gettin' a Gateway..

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:57:12 -0500

"M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey I just heard from Jim Kinkade from ISU at lunch today that the
> ISU labs are going to Gateways because of an offer they couldn't
> refuse: 1.6GHz P4, 256M/40G, DVD, CDRW, (2 separate drives), 18.1"
> flat panel = $1200. He said the displays are worth about $800 alone.

  Yeah, but the rest of the computer is only worth maybe $400.

> Wonder how long Gateway stays alive by giving stuff away. Troy, did
> you go back to Gateway? Where do you work/live now?

  I doubt they're giving anything away, just not soaking us as much as Dell
would.  It does seem a good deal, but I wonder how good those LCD monitors
are.  There is a big difference in quality between some of them.  Some are far
worse than a cheap CRT even.

                                                                - Steve