Dead List? cont.

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:10:57 -0500

Well, our Mac chat didn't raise any comments, but considering the
audience here, let's try this. I thought the last sentence was kinda
interesting..

A GRIP ON THE GRID
Dan Reed, executive director of the National Center for
Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), detailed his group's
initiative to build a high-end backbone for grid computing using
Linux. The NCSA is coordinating the project in conjunction with
Argonne National Laboratory, the San Diego Supercomputing Center,
and Caltech. Linux clusters running on McKinley processors will
be the building block for four sites that Reed said will
eventually balloon to a teragrid backbone for a nationwide
science and research grid. "What I hope will be the value of
Linux is that it will raise the development effort [higher] up
the value chain," he added. Reed noted that NCSA is negotiating
and working with Microsoft to establish interoperability between
the Linux components and the Windows-based desktop functions.
(InfoWorld, 11 February 2002)