Re: Bounced message for 'technocracy'

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:12:11 -0500

> Whomever is adminning yeah these days, can you please remove
> weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx from technocracy?  I keep getting these and don't have
> admin access to the box anymore.

Hey, sorry about the bounces, my box was down (GTE sucks).  I mailed you about
it from my amber account last week (?).

You're the list admin, so you can do all the subbing/unsubbing
manually/remotely through Listar's remote admin stuff.  Here's the blurb I send
to most admins:

List administration:  This can get somewhat complex, so hang in
there...  The process is designed around security, so it isn't a natural
point-n-click sort of thing.  Basically, we send a request to Listar, and
it returns our request and adds a "cookie" -- that's the security
part.  Then we cut and paste what Listar sends back to us into a new
email, and send *that* back to it.

We send our first email to interaction-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
construct it like this:

admin2
subscribe someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
endadmin

That's all for the first one.  Send that, and within a minute or so,
you'll get an automaticall generated email from Listar that'll look
something like this:

# some stuff up here
# that we can ignore
# (especially the instructions to "forward" it back to
# listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

// job
adminvfy interaction 393816E0:317.1:ebbglrnuvaqfgngrrqh
subscribe someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
adminend
// eoj

We cut and paste the stuff in between //job and //eoj into a new email to
interaction-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and send it.

That's all there is to it-- once you've done it a couple of times, it'll
be easy.  I've been meaning to work on some online documentation for
list moderators, but work's been slow on it.  Please let me know if my
instructions need any clarification.

That might be kinda lame-- lemme know if you need more info.  It's a somewhat
complex proc, but it gets the job done, and does it pretty securely.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org