Re: Balmer Sez... "Linux is Communism"

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:07:41 -0500

> vestiges of capitalism continue to exist (such institutions as state,
> market, and money)

yup.

> the state represents the masses -- it is not coercive

I don't think this applies here, since the gov't has nothing to do with
development of open source software (except for places like Sandia, where they
sponser Linux development).

> income differentials remain to motivate workers: "from each according
> to his ability, to each according to his labor"

Sure.

> cooperation replaces competition

no competition, eh?

> production of goods and services that provide social utility (rather
> than maximize profits) - as determined by a plan of economic activities

Call me crazy, but I highly doubt that Redhat's IPO was intended to provide
social utility. :)

> classless society - abolition of the distinction between rural and
> urban areas, elimination of exploitation and alienation through the
> abolition of private property

Compare silicon valley (lots of open source people) to Terre Haute.  I'd say
there's still quite a distinction.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA