Re: A whole new meaning to putting tasks in the background...

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:39:42 -0500

ssh accounts?  Very interesting.  Do they include ssh with OS X?  If so, do
they have a non-US version and a US version?  Am I mistaken in thinking that
exporting ssh would violate US crypto laws?

Well, to clarify Neil, my kid got it off the net from some place in Finland! :)
But the rest of it came with the OS X server software.

To be sure, we had varying degrees of success with loading various versions of Linux distributions on the same (admittedly two-year old) Compaq hardware. In other words, most of Linux _did_ load and run, even X-based stuff like KDE and Gnome, in some instances, but with some distributions it didn't, while yet others balked on the ethernet card(s), or something or other (it's been three months now.) And remember I was "helping" my kid, as time allowed--I wasn't doing everything myself. The irritating thing was that there was no consistency whatsover as to what each distribution would balk at. As the 70's Saturday Night Live character (RoseAnn Roseannadanna) used to say: it was "always something.."

So basically, what I'm saying is that is if you want Linux to take over the world including the commodity market of consumer machines, be patient because the moving target that the low end Wintel hardware finds itself in will prove to be an endless challenge for the Linux development people. Let's face it, does Apple have smarter programmers than the whole Linux development community, that enables them to make an idiot-proof Unix? I think not. But they do have a common reference platform to work off of.

I just picked up a three year old Mac all-in-one 5400 for $100. I've ordered Yellow Dog Linux for PPC for it. I'll let you all know how that goes..

-Chat