[TechAssist] warning about sony horiz output transistors

  • From: "GARY AND JUANITA CHAMBERS" <gchambe3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:11:02 -0500

Hi fellow techs,
I thought I would pass this along....

I had a sony tv come in the shop with blown horiz output transistor.
I am very firm on using sony original parts on these.(even with higher costs)
I ordered the horiz output from a sony supplier in michagan.(has been my source
for sony parts for years).
after getting the set running, the h.o.t. ran too hot after 4 mins.
the right side started bowing in so I removed power.
Knowing this is sony orig part I did the usual, changing caps in drive circuit
etc....
Checked waveforms, replaced several parts incl the drive transformer.
So I called them up and got the sony service tech, he tells me that there are
several counterfeit transistors on the market,and they are now finally working
thier way into the sony suppliers and sony factory parts.
now we have to be careful with sony orig parts too??????
go figure!
I did reorder and get an actual orig one and set worked fine.
I noticed on the counterfiet one the 2sc4927 numbers were very bright white and
the orig was faded dark.
keep this in mind the next time you have this problem.
so much time and parts spent because of this bogus part!
I do thank the tech for being honest.
sorry so long,
gary
CHAMBERS TV