[TechAssist] Re: use a battery backup UPS for TV,DVD,surround amp system protection ?

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 18:45:01 -0500

Come on Jerry,

Since when is a square wave referred to as RMS?  That is only applied to
normal AC of some given frequency.

I would agree that a zero to +115 volt square wave would result in 115VDC
output, but as far as ripple--you got to be kidding.  That would be a 50%
duty cycle, fed into a conventional bridge assuming no leakage.  It would
also result in a higher than normal current for the diodes of the bridge.

Feeding 120 VAC 60Hz, the peak is (indeed) 169.68 volts.   (1.414 x 120.)
 But, a square wave, 0-120, results in just 120 volts less decay time
during non-conduction, with much less need for filtering.  Now, if the
input were to be a -60 to +60 square wave, the result would still be the
same.  I have too much respect for your input not to challenge your
statement.  You said "Transformers designed for 60 Hertz will run hotter
when fed a square wave."  Not true.  The avg. current of a sine wave
input is only 63%.  A square wave is either on or off.  That means 50%.
Now, even if the square wave was +/- 60 vdc, the average current would
STILL BE LESS than 120v RMS.

I don't often pick a problem with your posts.  You are a person I
respect.  However, I disagree with your statement.  I certainly stand to
be wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time, but according to theory,
whether it be 0-120 V RMS  or -60-+60 square wave, will produce the same
average current.  The peak voltages would be of course different.  Given
the separate inputs, 120 VAC to a bridge gives 169 volts peak.  A square
wave 120 dc input yeilds only 120 volts output, with lesser need for
filtering.  This is, of course, neglecting the diode drop.

I don't know how this would affect equipment connected to a backup.  I
don't mean to keep this for discussion.  I personally feel that comparing
computers to amplifiers for a load is not possible.  The computer load is
fairly constant, but the amplifier load is not.   The current draw on a
computer is fairly constant.  That of an amp is dependent on both the
source and the volume level selected.  I would suggest that the peak of
power required for an amp would be much higher than for a
computer/monitor.

My apologies to Jay, the other TechAssist staff, and to those of you who
could care less.

I don't mean to imply that this question has no merit.  It does.  It
gives all of us a chance to discuss the basics of our trade.

I spent years teaching this stuff, but I have been wrong before.  Just
don't stop trying to learn.

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway