[TechAssist] Re: use a battery backup UPS for TV,DVD,surround amp system protection ?

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:00:14 -0500

Ty and all:

As far as running on DC, sure, it may be possible.  Consider  that the
bridge diodes are rated for a changing value of current, and thus have a
chance to cool.  If you draw all of the current only thru one diode it will
have to be a Big diode.

Now, as far as the voltage, if the power supply is optimised for 120VAC
60Hz, when your voltage gets low, the power supply will run harder, hotter,
and will fail early.  Some of the TrippLite DC to AC inverters I have seen
run 120 VAC by switching +-60 DC (square wave).  This is will only give that
pump up cap that is looking for 160, 60.  The power supply may not run at
all, and if it does it is gonna be hot.

As for stepped sign waves, every time you "step" you create a level edge,
which generates haromonics.  If you are looking to induce lots of harmonics
into the power supply prepare for all kinds of crazy problems in the
operation due to the harmonics interferring with the clock/data signals.

What if you micro is looking for that 60Hz for timing.  Again, those edges
may trick the micro.

The APC Smart UPS line, at least the ones I have seen over 400VA, is a true
sine wave output.  Refurbed units are available here:

https://www.refurbups.com/default.asp

at a fraction of the "new" cost.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics