[TechAssist] update. Magnavox FP4620, PTV705-AH01 46" bright green,retrace,has sound,video.after storm

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:41:17 -0400

update:
On the small signal (main) board,I found the jungle chip IC600
(TA8845AN/483531057458) outputs R,G,B on pins 18,19,20 repectively.
Powered up and running, all 3 pins have same correct DC voltages. from
here, the 3 signals go thru a series of components including SMD
transistors, green buffer Q616, green clipper Q617, finally green driver
Q605 (other colors have same arrangement) From the last in line, green
drive Q605 outputs from it's emitter  to connector J608 pin 5 (yellow
plug) where it go up to the green CRT board, and is "daisey chained" to
the other two CRTs. At this connector J608 is where the wide
discrepencies are.
J608  pin7(R) is almost zero vdc, pin5 (G) is +11.5VDC, and pin3(B) is
zero VDC.
So green is way up there. Preblem appears to be between where they leave
IC600 and where they exit the board to the CRTs.
But these are mostly all SMD, at front of board underneath, and running
the set to take readings is hard.
Tritronics has this board (or says their ASG119-TRI is a replacement
for) this main board at $99.95 exchange.
Am I foolish to persue component level repairs here?
Any TS-ing assist appreciated.
Phil Bader

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)
3420 Recker Hwy. Winter Haven, Fl. 33880
Fax (863) 299-8821
email: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx