[TechAssist] Re: seagate hard drive problem

  • From: jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:47:58 -0500

If you have previously used a hd manager, and are trying to reinstall it
without one, you might trye to boot from a diskette, and rewrite the master
boot record with "fdisk /mbr". I think that some of the disk managers embed
themselves into the mbr, and a DOS format program does not rewrite that.
Also once you have a drive formatted and partitioned from DOS, you can copy
the win98 directory off of the CD onto the hard drive, and run setup from
there. If you can afford the space to leave it there, it makes adding
peripherals and printers convenient, as you no longer have to figure where
you left the CD. (Although you should ditch the part that has the online
services junk)

Mike Goins   jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx