[TechAssist] Re: panasonic vcr pv-4451

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:09:11 -0400

Sounds like worn or dirty heads. Thats a 4 head machine so you are probably
doing the recording on the EP heads, but comparing the result with tapes
playing on the SP heads. You need a pre-recorded EP speed tape for a better
comparison. If it plays with black streaks emenating from outlines, the head
is worn. It will be worse on its own recordings.
If you replace the head and the prerecorded tapes have no color, remount the
head 180 degrees shifted. You will have to adjust the headswitching to spec.
and the guideposts for a flat RF envelope. If the autotracking takes a long
time to settle, you will have to adjust the A/C head x-position.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609