[TechAssist] Re: of subject

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:55:52 -0500

That 'check engine' light can be triggered by many things but if the engine
isn't overheating, has oil pressure, and isn't making any funny noises, it's
probably not a killer virus.

My state just adopted an emissions test program this year that right now is
just in the "this is what you would need if we were really doing this"
phase. But next year, 2006, LOOK OUT, cause we're gonna getcha. Basically
they hook up the state supplied (at the garage owners expense) computer
scanner to every vehicle that has the US Government mandated and approved
plug to hook up the approved scanner to. Which is supposed to be every car
made after 1996 or something.

The big fighting point is the fact that you fail the test if the dreaded
'check engine light' has ever come on, even if it isn't currently on. You
must take the car to be checked by a mecha  -- oops, technician who is duly
qualified and certified to test it and sign his name to a repair order
stating that the car is now OK. He is also required to lie about what he has
done (if he is an honest technician) because he's required to say what he
did to fix it. If he did nothing because it didn't need anything, that's not
acceptable because the government theory is that something had to be wrong,
therefore something had to be fixed. The light may have come on for
something as innocuous as removing the gas cap with the engine running. In
cold weather country, that is a very likely possibility and the peons are
objecting to having to pay a mec -- err, technician a hundred dollars or
more, just because they did that. Oh yes, and pay another $45 for a second
emissions test.

Of course erasing the memory on the computer is one way to fool the tester
but they will fail the car if the memory has ever been erased and you don't
have a get out of jail pass, duly signed by the aforementioned technician,
stating why it was erased, like due to a dead battery or something. If you
replace your own battery you are sooooo screwed.

My objection is that I have to pay $45 for the same inspection that used to
cost $20, even though I do not own a vehicle that has the computer plug.
Plus the fact that the whole thing seems to be designed to build an empire
for the head of the motor vehicle department, who previously had just a
small kingdom. They even made motorcycle inspection stations purchase the
computerized test equipment and motorcycles have NEVER had any such computer
system on them. So they get entered into the same computerized recordkeeping
system as my old 1978  Chrysler New Yorker or I guess I should say Chevrolet
New Yorker. That's what their system calls it, a Chevrolet, and we couldn't
get it corrected after wasting about an hour tapping on the computer and
calling the computer gods for advice. Actually we never were allowed to
speak to the real god up there. We got an angel 2nd class or Clarence, if
you will.

Do you think we could a system like that for checking emissions from TV
sets? That would put us all right back in business again.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH