[TechAssist] Re: lexmark x73 printer

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:22:05 -0600

Jorge, don't even 'scan to email', that usually doesn't work
very well, for the main reason that you cannot most of the
time have any control over the image and it's just dumped
right to the email.

Depending on what you are scanning, try different dpi
settings.  This is changed from within the scanner's software
properties.  Even for black & white doc's, always use the
color setting, this is will give a better image.  Usually
100dpi is OK for most doc's, so that can be starting point.
Most of the time there are many other settings that can be
changed.  Things like "scan text", "scan images", "scan
newspaper", "moiré" on and on.  You just have to try all and
get familiar with what setting works best for what type of
document you are trying to scan.

After you scan it (to your hard drive) look at the images and
see which is best.  For best results you should then use a
image editing program like "IrfanView" (free) to sharpen the
scan, and more importantly, resize it to a decent size that
can be easily email (you can just drag the images to the
desktop shortcut).  By that I mean physically reduce the size
(and make sure the sampling feature is at the highest
quality), then reduce the file size by (in the case of a
jpeg) compressing the image more, or in the case of a gif,
reducing color depth then resaving.  On that program, a 'save
setting' of 60 (compression) is about the lowest you can go
on a jpeg and the image still look good.  For a gif, they can
usually be reduced in color to 12 or so and still look good,
sometimes even 6.  This is with typical scans of schematics
for example.  EACH SCAN WILL be different.  Some will be
smaller file size wise saved as a gif, and some will be as a
jpeg.  You just have to try both in every case.  After some
experience with it, you'll know what to do without any tests.
Sometimes a png is the smallest, but it can only be reduce to
min of 18 colors.

Make sure you always save jpeg's as 'progressive' and gif's
as 'interlaced'.  You'll see all this in the program's save p
roperties.
http://irfanview.com/english.htm
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://ComputerHardware-ConsumerElectronics.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

looks like a lot of
> > >lines missing. when i copy it they look good. is there a
setting i have
> > >adjust or something. just new at this computer thing and
it seems like
> some
> > >of you guys understand it pretty good.
> > >al marquardt
> > >ampm@xxxxxxx
> >

> > Just scan at least at  200 dpi .  And do not overcompress
the jpg file
> when
> > saving....
> > Try several resolutions, all above 150 dpi and adopt the
lowest one that
> > fills your quality standards.
> > Good luck with the new toy O:=))
> >
> > Jorge GY Electronics Dallas