[TechAssist] Re: good sub 78m05a

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:11:01 -0500

Yes, certainly a 78M05 can be subbed with a 7805. 78M05 is rated 0.5
amps and a 7805 is rated 1 Amp. There is no reason to even stock the
78M05, just have a few 7805's on hand. Same goes for any other regulator
in the family- 7812, 7808, etc.

Generally speaking, over the years reading these tech emails, I am
amazed at the lack of knowlege about these IC's, they are basic
fundamental electronic components like a diode or a transistor. Any
reasonings?

Did you know that you can raise the output voltage of a 78xx series
regulator, by inserting a zener diode from the ground pin of the IC to
ground? If you want an 8V regulator but only have a 5V regulator 7805 in
stock, you can insert a 3V zener from pin 2 of the reg to ground and get
an 8V reg. (as long as the back plane of the regulator IC is not
connected to ground itself because it is common with pin 2, unless of
course we are talking about a plastic backed IC)

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984