[TechAssist] final decision:VP301... HDTV pattern generators. Sencore VP300: any one use/like it?]

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:47:29 -0500

After a weekend of research and soul searching, I called sencore. After
a bit more discussion, I ordered a refurbished VP301. That's like the
VP300 we discussed but with a cable connector with tuner NTSC output
(chan2,3,4 and 6, I think) NO DVI or HDMI's.Just a VESA 15 pin monitor
connector, and component HD outputs.(I guess with supplied cable)
Got it under 1500.00 delivered with 90 day P/L warranty, with all the
cables,etc.
I think this is best for me. I hope most present and future big screens
will use the  component video inputs which this model outputs the HD
signal with.
I just couldn't justify 3-4,000 dollars range for the newer ones with
more bells. I'm a small shop. But I've always tried to get the most I
can afford. I guess if I must test a DVI, or some such input I can use a
consumer device like a cable box or DVD deck. My tech friend says if he
has DVI input problems with a TV, he just figures ordering  a DVI board.
Done.
When I needed a 100MHz scope I got a Goldstar 100MHz dual trace some
years ago. It's done me right. That was a thousand dollars back
then...but Sencore I imagine was $3K?, - 5K?. Out of range. Again, best
I could do, but not the bottom line or model.
I do have sencore's HA2500 horiz analyser, Powerite AC variac PR570,
CM2125 monitor analyser. I use two Fluke meters. Several "decent" solder
stations.Some other misc power supplies, CRT testors,and other stuff. I
try for the best quality I can. As I say, I'm very small here.
So, we will see.
Thanks for all the knowledge and advice from this fine group.
Phil Bader

I meant-  HDTV-  generator... Typo in previous post's subject line. Sorry

--

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)