[TechAssist] Re: electrical instrument calibration

  • From: "Art Bevilacqua" <abevilac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:47:29 -0400

I do a lot of work in power plants, where the process control systems =
are
similar to what would be seen in a water plant.

The job description is worded a little strangely, but what I'm guessing =
they
mean is calibrating process instruments, such as pressure transducers. =
What
happens is the instrument tech "excites" the process side of the =
instrument
with a range of pressures, and checks that the electrical output varies
linearly over a 4-20 ma range. If not, there are range and offset
adjustments to make. Newer electronic instruments communicate with the
process control computers over digital highways instead of the old =
current
loop method, and some are calibrated using little handheld programmers
instead of pots.

Output devices, such as current-to-pneumatic converts to drive control
valves need the same kind of adjustments.

Art Bevilacqua
Essex Radio and TV
40 Main Street
Essex, MA 01929