[TechAssist] Re: difficulty w/tiny surface mount components

  • From: "Damon" <DAMON101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:38:24 -0500

What type of soldering iron are you using? Brand name? Model? Does it have
removable tips with adjustable temperature settings?

I have used the Weller soldering iron for years, 60 Watt output, with a PTA7
or a PTAA7 tip, the letter A denotes the tip size/shape and the 7 denotes
tip temp of 700 degrees. Present day model I believe is the WTCPT which will
last for 20 years.....mine has. General price range is $135.00

My super pointy 700 degree tip and Chemwick lite desoldering braid will
safely remove any SMD.

As for installation, I'll take a piece of tape, place the smd on the corner,
place it, then press the tape so it holds, then tack one leg, observe
alignment, then use a small screwdriver while heating the tacked leg to fine
tune the position if necessary.

Damon Brunger
Telrad Electronic Services
Ft Wayne, IN 46815