[TechAssist] Re: computer question, virus?

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:15:48 -0500

When I want to open an unknown attachment or download programs from the
internet to install, I always use my backup hard drive to try the
install first. After I install the program, I do an Adaware and Spybot
to make sure this new program didn't install some unwanted executables.
I learned this the hard way. One time I installed a trial version of a
photo viewing program and later found out that the trial also installed
a spy program called Cdilla which slows down the computer very much and
also apparently reports back to software manufacturuers what all is
installed on the system. I Also do a virus scan of the drive. If all
passes, then I go ahead and put my main hard drive back in the system
and go ahead with the program install. Seems like a lot of bother but it
is better than messing with a system reload.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984