[TechAssist] Re: computer hard drive

  • From: Terry W Rittenberry <terrys-tv@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:32:30 -0600

Sounds like you may have something like disk
manager on your hard dirve. Debug should remove everything including
viruses.

Filename: HDCLEAR.TXT
WWW URL:  http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/hdclear.htm
FTP URL:  ftp://ftp.firmware.com/text/hdclear.txt
Revision: 02/11/99  TLS  Micro Firmware Technical Support
          methods are not sufficient.

Even if you have repartitioned the hard drive, FDISK does not update the
entire partition sector after the first time. The following DEBUG script
will clear the partition sector (cyl 0, head 0, sector 1) of the first
hard drive, which will force FDISK to completely start over. This is
sometimes useful for removing Disk Manager or EZ Drive and should also
remove any boot sector viruses, providing that the virus is not active in
memory, which should be the case if you have booted clean from a
non-infected diskette. Although this script clears only the first
physical drive, we recommend unplugging other drives to prevent
accidental data loss. Letters in script are not case-sensitive.
      A:\>DEBUG
      - f 200 L200 0
      - a 100
      xxxx:0100  mov ax,301   (ignore segment:offset values at left)
      xxxx:0103  mov bx,200
      xxxx:0106  mov cx,1
      xxxx:0109  mov dx,0080
      xxxx:010C  int 13
      xxxx:010E  int 3
      xxxx:010F               (Press ENTER an extra time here)
      - d 100 LF
      xxxx:0100 B8 01 03 BB 00 02 B9 01-00 BA 80 00 CD 13 CC
      (make sure that hex values match above line before proceeding)
      (if values do not match, type Q and start over)
      - g=100
                              (ignore register display)
      - q                     (quits back to DOS)

FDISK should now show "No partitions defined".
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:32:27 -0800 "TomLee" <t8872695@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Terry

Terry's TV Service