[TechAssist] Re: component removal

  • From: "James M. Knoble" <jmk1938@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:49:43 -0400

I did this with VCR's. I have not used more than two parts in 6 years.

Consider this:
1. In TV's common parts fail.
2. Chassis are now made overseas so cheaply that parts in the same brand are
not common. The sets are becoming throwaways.
3. The time involved is tremendous
4. So now you are going to use one of your "money saving" parts. Is it any
good? Have you just introduced another problem?

I do feel that it is worth it to remove power supply, vert and hor parts that
can be tested before use.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:47:01 -1000, Randall Torda wrote
> Hi,
>
> I've been removing components (good known IC's, caps, etc.) as I
> need them from boards.  I"ve  accumulated boards, CRT's, etc.
> that I want to strip.  I want to remove a lot of the components in
> one crack instead of wasting solder wick or using a solder sucker.
> One tech suggested using a propane torch and heating the foil
> side and letting the components drop off.  Another suggested
> making a customized solder bath that can be heated and the
> circuit board can be dipped in the molten lead and
> the components can be lifted out.  I don't
> have a hot air desoldering station.  Some are double sided.
> Any ideas, although it might be a waste of time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Autolectrics
> Randall Torda
> 284 Makua Street
> Wailuku, HI   96793
>
> fax 808-244-3064
> lectrics284@xxxxxxxx

-

> --
> dangerous content by KnobleNet mailscanner, and is
> believed to be clean.

James M. Knoble
jmk1938@xxxxxxxxxx
P: 304-366-1938