[TechAssist] Re: a new thought? RE:Sams photofact cost?

  • From: "Bill S" <billans@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:34:57 -0700

Two thoughts; ??

With treasure chest schematics and with tips like Winstip, CD tech disc and
other things being available for us, I would assume that $840.00 cost per
year for subscription is kinda a waste.... BUT  as near as I can tell, there
are libraries that will listen to the public about those things that the
good ole public would like to have in their library.  In Minnesota, if the
local branch did not have the right sams, then you could order out of the
main branch (Minneapolis) and it would be sent to you "photo copied" at no
cost.
But a new thought??????????
There is in the music industry a 'flat user' fee for music that is used in
the church.  So if a choir or a church used a 'copyrighted' song, then the
royalties were paid a one time fee to a clearing house that specializes in
just that type of thing.  There is a license number that is assigned to that
church organization for the use of that material.

Nowww what would happen  if "we the techs" were to subscribe to Techassist
schematic clearing house (kinda like what we do in support for internet fee
that is paid to Techassist).  If I needed a CTC 177 print and I had paid a
yearly fee of $100.00 (as an example) and the print was either faxed or
emailed and the clearing house would pay a royalty fee to RCA and so on.
This would offer us an advantage at being more legitimate legally speaking,
Answers the critics of copyrights, Offer us better more timely resources,
and helps support each other in a way that may allow for us to answer
questions about problems rather than looking up prints and such.  We could
even contribute to the library as it were.

Granted there would be a lot of work.  I read that the list is up to 800
plus members and say for example if 400 people paid the $100.00 yearly fee,
that would be $40,000 per year to run this thing.
My two bits...
Bill Sorensen
New Life Video & Audio
billans@xxxxxxxxxxxx