[TechAssist] Zenith Z56Z83R8 & PTS

  • From: "Bill S" <billans@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:35:29 -0800

Hi all;

This make take some time and I will try to be brief about this.  We got this
unit in from a customer who brought it in on his truck without it really be
tied down.  I saw the set bounce around a bit when he brought it in.
To top this off.  The shop of where I work was underneath two other business
of which one of the business faucet broke and leaked water.  The ceilings
were soaked and busting through and the only thing that got wet was ( you
guessed it) was this big screen.  Now interestingly enough only a little
water got on top of the set (warping the top a little bit) and a little
water got in on the main module where the RF tuner connections were.
Nothing drastic.

When I went to look at the set, it would come on minus the high voltage.
Had sound, could change channels and so forth but no high voltage.  Did some
checking and found a shorted diode and open resistor that supplied the B +
to the Horizontal Output.  I posted this problem on here and the respose was
to get the board replaced/rebuilt as the flyback was probably bad.

I sent the board to PTS for rebuilding and it came back last Wed.  I put it
in and Yes, got high voltage and picture---BUT vertical jittering,
horizontal jittering, some snapping going on and the picture going blank
(whitish).

So I sent the unit back with the main module also since it had gotten wet
and was not confident in it not being the problem.  I got the unit back
today and now when I hooked up everything back together.... I do not have
high voltage.  It just clicks like something is shorted.  In a way its
almost worse then before.  I cannot find anything shorted like I did last
time.

Does PTS have problems with this board?  Could PTS have struck out twice in
a row now?  Are there convergence IC's that give grief on this set and does
it sound like this could be the problem?  Could the high voltage splittler
be causing the problems?

Thanks for listening to this adventure.

Bill S
New Life Video & Audio
May God richly Bless you and your families

SUBJECT field to the address above.