[TechAssist] Re: Zenith Service Menu Z25X22S Main Panel 9-1808-1

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:48:01 -0400

See the following:
Zenith

Demo

VCR's, Two different methods for different models

Try-- Push Sp/Ep and FF buttons together for 10 seconds with VCR off.
Display will say "E"

Or try-- With unit plugged in, turn power off, hold down speed button and
turn FF Wheel all the way at the same time, ( this is on the unit, not the
remote), until the display says exit.

----

Child Lock Feature

TV's
If you don't know the child lock password, enter 7777 as the password to
reset the controls

----

Service Mode

TV's
About 1995 and Newer, Procedure Below
Older Than 1995, Same Procedure But No Factory Mode To Toggle
And Some Of The Really Early Zenith's Had No RGB Drives and Bias's,
Tracking Was Controled By A Chip

With the remote--Press and hold the menu button until the menu comes up on
screen and then times out. 5-10 seconds.
Immediately press 9, 8, 7, 6, enter.
The set should now be in the service mode.
To access most of the features, selection 00 (Factory mode) needs to be
toggled from 0 to 1
Up/Down arrows select items to be adjusted, Left/Right arrows make the
adjustment.
If the Factory Menu has more than one page, press menu to get to the second
page.
Important: After your adjustments, be sure to toggle Factory Mode back to 0,
then press enter key.
If you forget this, set won't turn off. Setting the clock also takes set out
of factory mode.

If you don't have the remote--
Try this: Using buttons on the TV, press and hold the menu button until the
customer menu disappears.
Then quickly press Adjust right and Channel up keys at the same time.

Or Try This-- Press and hold menu until it times out
Then immediately press Volume up and Channel down at the same time. To Exit
press enter.

ZENITH SYSTEM 3
1. Press and hold MENU until the user menu disappears,The remote or the
keyboard on the set can be used
2. Immediately press 9, 8, 7, 6, ENTER (that should bring up the service
menu)
3. There are two menus in the service mode. Use MENU to toggle between them
4. Press SELECT to highlight the item you want to adjust
5. Press ADJ (left or right) to adjust as needed
6. Press MENU for the alternate menu if needed
7. Press ENTER to exit the service mode

      Label  Name
      HFRE H-FREQUENCY
      VFRE V-FREQUENCY
      VPOS  V-SHIFT
      VSIZ  V-SIZE
      VLIN V-LINEARITY
      VSCO  S-CORRECTION
      HPOS  H-PHASE
      HSIZ H-SIZE
      PAMP  PIN AMP.
      CPIN CORNER PIN
      PPHA  PIN PHASE
      VCOM  V-COMP.
      GAMP GREEN AMP.
      BAMP BLUE AMP.
      GCUT  GREEN CUTOFF
      BCUT  BLUE CUTOFF
      CROM  CHROMA TRAP
      SPIX PICTURE
      SHUE  HUE
      SCOL  COLOR
      SBRT  BRIGHTNESS
      RGBP RGB PICTURE

Projo Convergence,    ( GZ )

Remote Functions During Convergence

  a.. To put the Remote and TV into the convergence mode: Press Menu and
hold until the customer menu disappears, them press 999 and Enter.
  b.. To access a second function, press the same key a second time to
toggle between functions.
  c.. Control adjustments are made with the small white arrows.
  d.. Pressing Enter allows you to toggle between the controls stored
setting and the adjustment you just made.
      Key
      1
      2
      3
      4
      5
      6
      7
      8
      9
      0
      Menu
      Freeze
      CC
      FlashBk
      Mute
      Quit
     Function
      Skew
      Bow
      Lin
      Key
      Pin
      Size
      In-Pin
      S-ing
      L-Lin
      Mid-Size
      DC
      Conv.Mute
      Red Functions
      Green Functions
      Blue Functions
      Exit Setup
     Second Function
      None
      None
      IN-Lin
      D-Key
      D-Pin
      L-Size
      None
      W-M
      L-Edge
      None
      None
      Mute Off
      Geometry
      Geometry
      Geometry
      Exit W/O Saving

Download and Print a PDF Chart of the various screens you will be adjusting.

Make sure unit has been on for 15 or 20 minutes before proceeding.

The G2 setup and video mute jumpers are found on the left rear corner of the
main module.
The G2 and Focus control are found behind the blue CRT.

G2 Setup (This must be done in low light with no direct light on the screen)
Put G2 Setup jumper (SW4) in setup position.
Set the G2 control for the Green CRT by turning the control clockwise until
vertical retace lines are just visible. Do the same for the red and blue.

Focus Adjustment
Connect your signal generator (set to hatch or monoscope pattern) to video
inputs.
Set Customer Menu brightness and contrast to lowest setting where you can
still see the pattern.
Adjust the mechanical and electrical focus as needed.
NOTE:When doing the mechanical focus, you want the center of pic to be the
best focus, and when doing the electrical focus, you want the midpoint areas
to be the best focus. This would be the areas halfway between the center of
the pic and the top, bottom and sides of pic.

Center the Red and Blue Static Controls
In the Customer Projo Setup menu, adjust the vert and horz Red and Blue
static convergence controls to their center position.

Setup Yoke Tilt and Center Screen

  1.. Set pattern generator to crosshair

  2.. Press and hold Menu button until the customer menu goes away, them
press 999 Enter.
  You'll now see the geometry convergence display.

  3.. Press the Freez button to disable the convergence, and screen will say
Geometry Mute.

  4.. Check and adjust the horz line by loosening the yoke clamp and
rotating the yoke assy.

  5.. Determine the actual center of the screen, and using the ring magnets,
set the Green CRT beam to the center point of the screen.

  6.. Adjust the Red horz line to converge with the Green horz line and the
Red vert line 3/4" to the right of the Green vert line.

  7.. Adjust the Blue horz line to converge with the Green horz line and the
Blue vert line 3/4" to the left of the Green vert line.

  8.. Press Freez to enable the convergence, ("Geometry Mute" will disappear
from screen)

  9.. Turn off the Red and Blue CRT video by moving jumpers SW1 and SW3 on
the main module to the setup position.

  10.. If the pattern changed coordinates go to step 11, if they didn't
change coordinates go to step 12

  11.. Press Flashback then Menu on the remote. The screen will now say
"Green DC". Use the small arrows on the remote to adjust Green centering.

  12.. Turn on Red CRT video by placing jumper SW3 to normal position. Press
CC to select "Red DC" and then converge Red to Green

  13.. Turn on Blue CRT by placing jumper SW1 to the normal position. Press
Mute to select "Blue DC" and converge Blue to Green.
Setup Green, ( Reference Color )

  1.. Turn off Red and Blue CRT using SW1 and SW3 on main module

  2.. Press 6 on the remote, screen will say Green Size. Using the small
arrows on the remote set horz and vert size to 127

  3.. On the sweep module adjust the vert (R2104) and horz (R3227) size
controls to about 1 1/2" of over scan. NOTE: Must be in display aspect ratio
3:4

  4.. Adjust the vert controls for the best straight horz lines.

  5.. Adjust the horz controls for the best straight vert lines.

  6.. Repeat steps 2-5 until you get the best possible display.

Converge Red onto Green

  1.. Turn on Red CRT video by setting SW3 to normal position, Blue CRT
should still be turned off.
  2.. Adjust the Vert controls to obtain straight horz lines.
  3.. Adjust the Horz controls to obtain straight vert lines.
  4.. Adjust L-Lin, L-Edge, L-Size, and Mid-Size to fully converge the Red
image to the Green image.
  5.. Repeat steps 2-4 until you get the best possible convergence
Converge Blue onto Green

  1.. Turn on Blue CRT video by placing SW1 to normal setting and turn off
Red CRT video by setting SW3 to the setup position
  2.. Adjust the Vert controls to obtain straight horz lines.
  3.. Adjust the Horz controls to obtain straight vert lines.
  4.. Adjust L-Lin, L-Edge, L-Size and Mid-size to fully converge the Blue
image to the green image
  5.. Repeat steps 2-4 as necessary until you get the best possible
convergence.
Final Convergence of Red and Blue to Green
  1.. Turn on Red CRT video and Blue CRT video by placing SW3 and SW1 to the
normal setting
  2.. Adjust the convergence controls as necessary until you get the best
possible convergence.
Save Convergence Adjustments

Press Quit once and you will be asked, "Do You Want To Save The Changes?"
Using the adjust key, change the highlight to Yes or No and press Enter to
save.
You can also exit the convergence setup mode without saving any changes by
pressing Quit twice.

----

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109