[TechAssist] Re: Zenith Projection TV Z56Z83R8 Convergence trouble

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:08:18 -0400

Folks,
As both Jeff Dougherty and John Wilkerson can attest to, there is a
procedure that must be followed when performing the convergence alignments
on these sets. It happened to me also. I had replaced the SMPS/SWEEP module
and of course had to do the alignments. What I did not know was that there
are certain values you must preset the settings to, because if you do not,
and you unknowingly set the values too far off, it causes undo stress on the
convergence amplifier IC's and/or those Pioneer convergence waveform
generator IC's (IC4000,4001,4002 - Zenith part # 221-1060) on the
registration (digital convergence) 9-1690 module. Either of these IC's going
south will cause those infamous 1 ohm resistors to cook in a heartbeat.
Those that are unware of this root cause of the problem are troubleshooting
only the effect, not the cause! The IC's (especially those Pioneers) are
expensive and to keep replacing and destroying them is obviously
undesirable. In such cases, it is usually best to replace the registration
module, however, before doing so, I ADAMANTLY recommend to check your
digital convergence settings FIRST, so that out of tolerance settings do not
destroy the new module before you ever get the chance to correct the
settings. I was informed of this procedure by Harley Hollingsworth from
Zenith technical engineering. I was faxed four pages of instructions (one of
which is the settings) by him. I have scanned them into my computer as JPEG
files but cannot post them as attachments to this email for obvious reasons.
And as a sidenote, those of you who do not know, the procedure for entering
the convergence service menu is holding the menu button down on the remote
untill the menu display disappears, then press 9,9,9,ENTER.

Bob Waterman, CET®
Service Manager
Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarm Systems, Inc.
(508)695-7302
(508)695-7769 FAX
geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
geminitv@xxxxxxx