[TechAssist] Re: Windows XP Question.

  • From: "Christopher Barnak" <cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:59:00 -0500

What I do is write down all the startup entry items.
Then I close, go to Google and do a search on each entry, which always
returns results.
It will tell you what kind of file or action it is used for.
Most are very unecessary and can be dangerous as they will cause
programs
to access internet infor without you even knowing it.
I found 4 that were put there by virus's. I had removed the virus files
on
my computer, but found it also put startup entries to execute them on
my
next boot up. They did nothing because PC-cillin had deleted the .exe
virus programs.
But they were, and many others, were totally unnecessary.
Make sure you leave your antivirus startup items.
I reduced 14 startup items to 4.

Christopher Barnak, CET
Norfolk Public Schools
Electronics Technology
966 Bellmore Ave.
Norfolk, Va. 23504

Phone 757 628 3385
Fax    757 628 3392
cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/10/06 12:51 PM >>>
Hi Don,

Sorry, I've just never heard of anyone using Processes to check
out the Startup items. It's been easy enough for me to disable
most of the Startup programs.

And the result is far better than leaving them running (as is the
case in almost every PC in use).

Bil

PC 1000
M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
http://magpulser.com
Mammoth Lakes, CA
760-924-1000

mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sac> Hi Bil,

Sac> The Process Library WILL show and identify almost
Sac> ANYTHING that is  shown as
Sac> programs or processes and Startup items.  Found it to be a great
tool as it
Sac> also identifies .dll files also.

Sac> Don

Sac> Donald J. De Sario
Sac> Surf & Turf Servicing
Sac> 4936  Provens Dr.
Sac> Akron, Ohio   44319
Sac> 330-697-2517
Sac> SRFANDTRF@xxxxxxx

Sac> Hi Donald,
Sac> This is for "Processes" (not "Startup"  items).

Sac> "What's Running" is easy to use (and free) and does not  require
Sac> going to a web site (for ID-ing Processes).

Sac> Bil

Sac> PC  1000
Sac> M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse  generator
Sac> http://magpulser.com
Sac> Mammoth Lakes, CA
Sac> 760-924-1000

Sac> mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sac>> A good place to find  out what all those acronyms are that are
in
Sac> 'startup'
Sac>> is go  to _www.processlibrary.com_
Sac>> (http://www.processlibrary.com)

Sac>> Just enter in the letters and it shows almost all
Sac>>  programs  and what they do
Sac>> then you will be better able to  decide which
Sac>> programs to let  start and
Sac> which
Sac>> you don't  need.

Sac>> Donald J.  De Sario
Sac>> Surf & Turf  Servicing
Sac>> 4936 Provens Dr.
Sac>> Akron, Ohio   44319
Sac>> 330-697-2517
Sac>>  SRFANDTRF@xxxxxxx

Sac>> Bil, I`m one of the dummies, I  did what you said and it killed
windows,
Sac>  made
Sac>> me contact them  and re-load
Sac>> windows, then my dial up wouldn`t work,  couldn`t  get the icon
to bring
Sac> up
Sac>> the "dial" box, had to put   everything
Sac>> back the way it was? Computers and me just don`t mix I  guess, at
 least
Sac>> tried I guess, Thanks for
Sac>> trying  to make things work  faster,  Larry E

Sac>> Larry  Eastman
Sac>> American TV &  Electronics
Sac>> Crystal  River, Fl. 34428

Software
>>>  >> >>  >  It's looking for something and I thought it  was HP
Photo
>>>  >> gallery
Spybotted  this
Slowed my
>>>  >>  TTE> to a
PRE-SPYBOT
>>>  >> find that
>>> >> >> >
>>>  >>  >> > "TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award" Winner Advanced System
Optimizer

http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/advanced-sys

>>>   gjc> tem
>>>  >> >> >
>>>  >> >> > (darn it, it's so long I  had to double-click,  then when
the

Pavillion

>>>  >>  >> >>

This

>>>  >>  >> >>>
>>>  >> >> >>>McCartney  Electronics

>>>  >> >> >>>
>>>  >> Nero on
>>> >> >> >
>>>  >>  >> > my

>>>  >> >> > days.
>>>  >> >> >
>>>  >> >>  >>>>
>>>  >> each time
>>>  >> >> >>>>-Ed-
>>>  >> >>  >>>>E. Gaidies

>>>   gjc> ----

>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>>  >> >>  >>>>Set Vacation
>>>  >>

>>>   >> >> >>>>Lost Password:   http://www.tech-assist.org  and select
>>>  >> >>  >
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>  >>

>>>   gjc> ----

>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm

>>>   >> >> >>>Lost Password:  http://www.tech-assist.org   and select
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>> >> >> >>
>>>  >> >>  >>

>>>  >>

>>>   gjc> ----

>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>> >> >> >

>>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>>>   >> >> >
>>>  >>  Problems?".
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

>>>  >> >>
>>>  >>

gjc>>>
gjc>>>
gjc>>>
Sac>>  --
>>>  gjc> -
>>>  >> >> > This  Email List is accessible to the general  public
through
>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>> >> TTE>
>>> >>

>>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>>>   >> >> > Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org   and  select
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>> >> >>
>>>  >>

gjc>>>
gjc>>>
gjc>>>
Sac>>  --
>>>  gjc> -
>>>  >> >> This Email  List is accessible to the general public
through
>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>> >> TTE>
>>> >>

>>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>>>   >> >> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and  select
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>  >>
>>>  >> TTE>
>>>  >>

gjc>>>
gjc>>>
gjc>>>
Sac>>  --
>>>  gjc> ----
>>>  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>> >>

>>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>>>   >> TTE> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>  >>
>>>  >>

>>>  >>

gjc>>>
gjc>>>
gjc>>>
Sac>>  --
>>>  gjc> ----
>>>  >> Set Vacation
>>>  >>

>>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>>>   >> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select
>>> //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>  >>
>>>  >>

gjc>>>
gjc>>>
gjc>>>
Sac>>  ------
>>>  gjc> This Email List is accessible to the general  public through
search
Sac>> engines. Remove:  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>>  gjc> Set   Vacation
Sac>>
Sac>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation

>>>   gjc> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select
Sac>> Problems?".
>>> gjc> Email Archives:
>>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>

>>>   Thursday, February 9, 2006, 1:07:21 PM, you wrote:

Sac>>  ---
>>>  This Email List is accessible to the general public  through
search
Sac>> engines.  Remove:  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>>> Set   Vacation
Sac>>
Sac>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation

>>>   Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
Sac> Problems?".
>>> Email Archives:
>>> //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>>

>>>   --
>>> Checked by  AVG  Free Edition.
2/8/2006

Sac>>  This  Email List is accessible to the general public through
search
Sac> engines.
Sac>> Remove:   http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
Sac>> Set Vacation
Sac>>
Sac>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation

Sac>>  Lost  Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
Sac> Problems?".
Sac>> Email Archives:
Sac>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

Sac>>  This Email List is accessible to the general public
Sac>> through search  engines. Remove:
Sac>> http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
Sac>>  Set Vacation
Sac>>
Sac>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation

Sac>>  Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
Sac> Problems?".
Sac>> Email Archives:
Sac>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

Sac>>  ---
Sac>> avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
Sac>> Virus  Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Sac>> Tested on: 2/10/2006 9:04:12  AM
Sac>> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL Software.

Sac> Friday, February 10, 2006, 8:42:51 AM,  you wrote:

Sac> ---
Sac> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message  clean.
Sac> Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Sac> Tested on: 2/10/2006  9:29:35 AM
Sac> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL  Software.

Sac> This  Email List is accessible to the general public through
search engines.
Sac> Remove:  http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
Sac> Set Vacation
Sac> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
Sac> Lost  Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
Problems?".
Sac> Email Archives:
Sac> //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

Sac> This Email List is accessible to the general public
Sac> through search engines. Remove:
Sac> http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
Sac> Set Vacation
Sac> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
Sac> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
Problems?".
Sac> Email Archives:
Sac> //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

Sac> ---
Sac> avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
Sac> Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Sac> Tested on: 2/10/2006 9:43:51 AM
Sac> avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL Software.

Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/10/2006 9:51:01 AM